There are various reasons due to which a computer user would like to block their websites on a computer. These websites could be something which may spread virus or might have some content which should not be seen or watched by everyone or websites which may try to access your personal data and steal it. You may ignore these websites while using computer, however same does not applies in case of every user and this is when need arises for blocking of the website. In this tutorial, you will learn about how to block a website in Windows.
Blocking sites on Windows PC Computer
There are different ways which can be followed for blocking the websites and it can be blocked on some specific type of browsers, or on the whole operating system or the network router. Herein we have discussed in detail steps on how to block a website in windows.
Steps for blocking sites on windows
While accessing to the system of internet, a DNS system is used which remembers the names or other address and hence helps the user to reach to the websites. The Hosts file can also have access to the information which has been stored locally and this is quite useful to disabling access to sites which are unwanted or something from which you would like the users to be restrained. Following are the steps;
- Assign an administrator access on your computer and this can be done by signing onto the PC and then using the administrator account.
- Double click on the file called hosts and open it with notepad. Then click OK, make sure that the last two hosts files read as “#127.0.0.1 local host” and “#::1 localhost”.
- If you are unable to edit the file, then right click the labeled hosts and select properties from there. Click on the security tab and then select administrator account and then press edit.
- A pop up might appear, then select the account and check full control. Click on apply and then yes. For all the following pop ups click ok.
- At the end of file, users can then add the address of websites which one would like to block. It can be done in the following way i.e. 127.0.0.1 and then following the name of the site which has to be blocked. The local computer will then be intimated of your command.
- Any number of sites can be blocked, but don’t forget that only one website can be added in one line.
- The above step can be repeated until all the websites have been added to the block list.
- Once the above step has been concluded, then close the host file and click on save. The computer has to be rebooted after carrying out the above step such that changes can be saved in the system and websites can be blocked.
The above steps can thus be followed which will conveniently allow you to block unwanted sites. Such steps shall be of great use for parents who would like to protect their child from cheap content sites, for employers who would like to protect employees from using websites which may spread virus or cause any damage to the data.